January 2022 Update: Due to the current pandemic our search for a musical director has not gone according to plan! We are still seeking a director and this is a note to say that – also due to the pandemic – the following description of who we are and what we do may not accurately reflect the current scenario. But it does give you a clear picture of the heart and potential of this group if singers.
Nelson Bays Harmony are a vibrant team of skilled singers who love to perform, compete and have fun. We are seeking a dynamic and dependable leader whose strong musical and interpersonal skills will help us learn, grow and achieve our goals.
- We sing women’s four part a cappella and barbershop harmony and our chorus is affiliated with Sweet Adelines International.
- We are based in Nelson, NZ and currently rehearse on Thursday evenings 7:00pm to 9:45pm.
- You can find out more about us by browsing this website, seeing our performances on YouTube and scrolling our Facebook page.
Do you have what it takes to direct Nelson Bays Harmony Chorus?
We will know you’re right for us, because you have:
- high level musical skill and expertise, particularly related to harmony singing, to continue our focus on musical excellence and improvement (barbershop knowledge would be an advantage)
- experience in directing or musical leadership within a vocal ensemble
- natural musicality – you can perceive pitch, rhythm, harmony, phrasing, mood and tempo – and can convey this with your empowering hands
- the ability to teach, and communicate, using positive language and encouragement
- strong interpersonal and leadership skills with a flexible team-centred approach
- excellent short-term and forward planning skills; you are always organised and well prepared for rehearsals, meetings etc
- a motivating energy, a good sense of humour and the ability to inspire others
- an open-minded learning attitude and the ability to think creatively
- shared commitment to our vision and values, and appreciation for our caring and purposely positive culture
Please follow this link to read about the responsibilities of our musical director.
We are excited about this new chapter in our chorus life and thank you for your interest in applying to join us as musical director. We look forward to beginning our conversation with you!
We would like to receive your expression of interest by 30th November 2021.
Please email Jenny Edwards, coordinator of our Director Search Team, including a paragraph or two outlining your interest, experience, and availability for the role.
- We will review expressions of interest as they are received, and selected candidates will be invited to apply by sending a CV and contact information for three referees (whom we will ask to complete an appraisal form).
- Preferred applicants will then be invited to participate in an interview, meet with our music and management teams, and take part in directing a rehearsal at a mutually agreed-upon time.
If you have any questions at all please do feel free to contact Jenny.